Uttarakhand has so many hidden gems in it from which some are explored and some are unexplored. Brahmatal is a hidden treasure in the Garhwal Himalayas of Uttarakhand. Brahmatal is a high altitude alpine lake perched at an elevation of 12,250ft above sea level. It is a popular trekking destination that attracts a lot of trekkers, backpackers, nature and snow lovers.
Brahamtal trek is a classic winter trek. It is one of the scenic and serene destination that offers a lifetime experience. The trek is an easy to moderate trek which demands a person to be physically and mentally fit. The highlight of the trek is the ravishing views and a walk over the pristine white fresh snow. The trek starts from Lohajung near Dehradun. Brahmatal trek will take you through the dense groves of oaks & rhododendrons, snow-secured glaciers, tranquil frozen lake Bekaltal, impressive skyline, sparkling peaks, amazing chilling weather, and a walk on the ankle-deep snow.
The beautiful campsites of the trek at the frozen lake, in the middle of the forest, and near Brahmatal lake gives you an unforgettable experience.
Brahmatal trek offers captivating views of the Mt. Trishul and Mt. Nanda Ghunti. The lake gets frozen in winters all surrounded by fresh snow, dense forests of oaks, and amazing snow-covered mountains. The views will prove the worth of every single step or effort which you have made to reach up here. One has to physically and mentally strong to undertake this trek. The total trek is 32km and definitely one has to be prepared very well for it. There are several exit points of the trek that will take you back in case of any emergency. Keep all the essential things in your bag and prepare yourself to deal with high altitude mountain sickness.
Hiking towards Brahmatal is full of thrill and fun, walking on the snow stretched meadows, with the amazing weather, soothing and calm environment will leave you speechless. According to mythology, Lord Brahma has said to have meditated near the lake for several years. That’s why the lake is Brahmatal.
How to reach?
The trek starts from Kathgodam and further moves to the base camp Lohajung. Kathgodam is well-connected to cities like Delhi.
- You can take a bus from Delhi and reach Kathgodam. Then a 10 hr. Drive will take you to Lohajung which is 210km.
- Take a direct train from Delhi and reach Kathgodam.
Both are the cheapest and easiest ways to reach Kathgodam for Brahmatal trek.
Best time to visit.
Brahmatal is a classic winter trek. It is best to visit it in the winter months of mid-November to Mid-March. The lake gets frozen and the trek becomes a paradise for snow lovers. Summer season is also good to explore the destination, the weather remains pleasant, calm, and the sun shines a little brighter.
Monsoons are not ideal to trek as the trail gets muddy and slippery.
Things to carry:
- Woolen clothes
- Thermal wear (top & bottom)
- Rain cover
- Woolen cap
- Lip balm
- Extra pair of socks
- Personal medical kit
- Trekking shoes
- Fleece jacket
- Water bottle
- Swiss knife
- Trekking pole or stick
- Torch and flashlights
- Power bank and extra batteries
- Camera (if needed)
- Track pants
- Brahmatal trek is a 7 days long trek and network connectivity in the area is very low. Inform your family in advance about this trek.
- Acute mountain sickness is a common issue at higher altitudes. It is advised to carry all the necessary medicines with you.
- Do not wander alone. Always stay in a group.
- Always follow the trek leader and his instructions.
- Take adequate breaks and keep yourself dehydrated.
- Do not litter. Keep the area and surroundings clean and green.
- Show respect to religious sites comes during the trek. And be nice to the locals.
- Explore the culture and lifestyle of pahadi people without harming their intentions or by doing anything inappropriate.
BRAHMATAL TREK is a great winter adventure that offers the best beauty of nature. The trek is not only an adventure but als0 gives an unforgettable experience. Plan a week-long trip and make your trip a memorable one.
Live. Travel. Explore!!